Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The World's Best Grandpa

The world lost a great man on Monday and I am very sad, but at the same time I am very happy for what a great life he lead and the legacy that he left behind. Here are a few highlights!

Jim Meehan (not James!)

Husband to Mary Meehan for over 65 years.
Father to 7 children
Grandfather to 15
Great grandfather to 18
and trusted friend to many more!

My grandfather served on Submarines in World War II. He was stationed in Pearl Harbor before the US entered the war and luckily he was moved to sub duty before Pearl Harbor was bombed. His sub the Guardfish made it back to Pearl Harbor some months after the attack. After a short stop, they then unleashed fury in the Pacific! Even having a write up in Time magazine with some amazing photos (that I am still trying to get my hands on!) If you were able to get my Grandfather talking about the war, he would sometimes tell stories of when the sub was under attack and they thought they were never coming home.

Few people know that my Grandfather was also a civilian on the maiden voyage of the USS Nautilus, the first Nuclear powered submarine. My grandfather made a living building submarines and supported a large and loving family with that career.

He was also an avid golfer! One year on opening day of a Connecticut golf course, he put his ball on the Tee, swung and nailed a hole in one! It doesn't get much better than that.

Grandpa showed us how to crab and clam at the Latimer Point. He would take us out fishing on the Kelly Girl and skiing and kneeboarding in the Brown Betty.

During the winter, when he and Grandma were down in Florida, we would always get huge boxes filled with Oranges and Grapefruit. Grandpa would always tease and say that he went out and picked them himself!

Grandpa always had his secret stash of snickers and Breyers ice cream in the freezer. Everyone knew just where to look for his "secret stash"

He even was a Christmas Tree cutter - one year he let Mike and I cut a Christmas Tree down from the Uncasville home and he put it in the back of his Mazda truck and didn't tie it down, so it ended up in the middle of 395!! Somehow he got the tree back in the truck and safely installed in the tree stand at our house!

The best part of having such a wonderful Grandfather is his well placed birthday! Every year in August, my family celebrated "National Lobster Day" where my Grandmother would buy a literal ton of Lobsters and we would feast the entire day. I am so happy that Ryan and I were able to bring the kids to experience Lobster Day last year. Of course it was Grandpa's 85th Birthday and it was the best one!

I have so many wonderful memories of my Grandfather and he has had a huge influence on who I am today. I just wanted to share a little piece of him with all of you.


Grandpa at Lobster Day! Happy 85th Birthday!


Grandma and Grandpa on their wedding day!

50th Anniversary Photo
50th Anniversary photo with their children.

60th Anniversary Photo (notice what they are wearing!)

Grandma and Grandpa created the greatest place on earth - yes, even better than Disneyland! They created Latimer Point and it was the place that always made everyone the happiest!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie-
That was so nice to be able to read and just find out a littl more about your late grandfather!
Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
Sending my love!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Julie! You captured some of the endless memories and I love the pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Julie, you did such a great job capturing who gramps was. Thanks for doing that. Hope that you are all doing ok.

Love Ya-
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Julie

I loved your Memorial to your beloved grandfather, honey. What a pure joy to have loved and experienced grandparents! All my love to you and your family in your time of loss.

Love ya,

Mom Canady

Anonymous said...

Julie,
What you wrote was simply beautiful and right on. Nice job.
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Julie,

Very nicely done!

Mom